- Number 7 of 51 built – no two alike.

- Navy Blue paint color (originally Green).

- Advanced design with many safety features; Franklin Flat 6 engine, designed for helicopter.

- “Cyclops” headlight turns with the steering wheel.

- Top Speed: 120 mph.

- Proposed price: $2,450, but it was closer to $4,000.

- The Tucker car was offered in six colors: Black (#100), Waltz Blue (#200), Green (#300), Beige (#400), Pearl Gray (#500), and Maroon (#600).

- There were three interior trim colors offered – Light green (#900), Light Blue (#910), and Light Beige (#920).


Tucker #1007 was completed in April or May of 1948.

The Tucker Corporation records show it was sold to Air-cooled Motors in Syracuse NY on June 12, 1948.

Tucker #1007 was included as an asset in the Bankruptcy Sale of the Tucker Corporation (March 3, 1949). The bankruptcy court determined that either Air-cooled Motors had not paid for the car, or that as part of a subsidiary of the Tucker Corporation, Tucker #1007 was not necessary to the continued operation of Air-cooled Motors.

David Graver DBA Kilroy Motors of Irvington, NJ purchased Tucker #1007 at the bankruptcy auction on October 20, 1950. The car was located in Syracuse NY. David Graver, who bought the car sight unseen, said he bought the car “because I wanted something for my fifty-thousand dollar investment”.

Nick Jenin of Fort Lauderdale FL purchases Tucker #1007 in 1953. It was part of his “Fabulous Tuckers Show”.


W. Ray Wallace of Dallas, TX purchases Tucker #1007 from Nick Jenin in 1964. In 1978, W. Ray Wallace begins a 15 year restoration of Tucker #1007.

Bill Ray Gouldd of Las Vegas NV buys Tucker #1007 at auction on October 30, 1994 for a record $255,000.

In 2001, the Petersen Museum of Los Angeles, CA buys Tucker #1007 as part of a large group of cars that Bill Ray Gouldd has been ordered to sell under an agreement with the FTC after running a major pyramid scheme in the 1990s. The Petersen Museum was not interested in keeping

Tucker #1007 and only bought it to acquire other cars within the group.

Barrett-Jackson auctioned Tucker #1007 for the Petersen Museum on June 15, 2002. It was purchased by the LeMay family.



The Tucker Club’s official position on the much talked-about Tucker Convertible can be found at this link:  http://www.tuckerclub.org/bbs3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1733, and is basically: “The Tucker Automobile Club of America, Inc. (TACA) has never been presented with—nor have been able to find—any credible evidence to prove the authenticity of this or any other vehicle as being a Tucker Corporation intended convertible and therefore we cannot certify it as such.”


Tucker #1007 left the factory in the Green color (#300) with the Light Green (#900) trim on the data plate. There were only eight Green Tuckers, and only 5 remain in the factory Green color. During the early 1960’s, Tucker #1007 was painted a bright red-orange, then later painted black, then lastly painted its present deep metallic blue color in the early 1990’s.

Tucker #1007 left the factory with engine #33507, but currently has engine #33575. Since Tucker #1007 was originally owned by Air-cooled Motors and was used for engine testing, this is most likely the reason for the engine number difference, as the original engine may have expired during testing and been replaced. Tucker #1007 was owned by Air-cooled Motors and was used in the testing of the engines, and certainly one of the tests would have been to see how far the engine could be pushed until it expired.

Tucker #1007 was not in the movie “TUCKER – The Man and His Dream."

Tucker #1007 was purchased at a Petersen Museum-hosted auction in June, 2002 and was briefly owned by The Petersen Museum, who bought Tucker #1007 with a group of cars from the collection of Bill Gouldd. The Petersen Museum did not want to keep the Tucker, as they already owned a Tucker, but were forced to buy it in order to get other cars they wanted. The sales price for Tucker #1007 in June of 2002 was $334,800.

The hubcaps on Tucker #1007 are not original Tucker hubcaps and appear to be from an Oldsmobile, with the Tucker crest applied. Hubcaps from a Henry J are very close in appearance to true Tucker hubcaps once the Tucker emblem is applied to them.

Tucker #1007 has a reproduction VIN tag in place of the original VIN tag, but the numbers on the tag match that of stampings elsewhere on the body.

Tucker #1007 has the correct early speedometer, which had a hand-painted face. Alex Tremulis paid a painter $100 each to hand-paint the early speedometers before they had production facilities in place to produce them in quantity.

"The Most Completely New Car in Fifty Years" was the slogan Preston Tucker decided to use to promote his fast-back, four-door sedan. Designed by Alex S. Tremlis, the car was truly ahead of its time.

The exterior featured a cyclops headlight that turned with the steering wheel, a windshield that popped out on impact, cut away roof line above the doors for easier access, and a step-down interior. The interior had push-button door releases, a padded dash that wrapped around the doors, and interchangeable front and rear seats to provide for even upholstery.

This "car of the future" was unique even beneath its futuristic exterior. The Tucker featured an all-independent suspension and a rear-mounted flat-six power plant which utilized the first fully sealed water-cooling system. The all-alloy engine weighed only 320 pounds, but produced 166 bhp, pushing the Tucker to top speeds of 120 mph (0-60 mph in about 10 seconds).

Despite all this, the company produced just 51 cars (including the "Tin Goose" prototype) before its collapse. Forty-seven of these cars still exist; this car is number 7.

1948 Tucker Model 48


Year: 1948

Make: Tucker

Mode: Model 48

Style: 4-Door Sedan

Serial No

Color: Blue

Engine Size: 335 cid

Engine Cylinders: H-6

Engine BHP: 166 BHP

Transmission: Manual 4-Speed

  • Facebook Clean

Telephone: 253-272-2336

Email: info@lemaymarymount.org

Address: 325 152nd St E., Tacoma, WA 98445


Tuesday-Saturday:  9:00am-5:00pm

Sunday: 12:00pm-5:00pm


Last tour of the day begins at 3:00pm.

Monday: CLOSED