A lot of people in the antique truck club wanted to buy this Autocar, but the lady who owned it was from Spanaway, and she wanted Harold LeMay to have it so it would be preserved. It had been used regularly to haul loads to California and back.
The Pittsburgh Motor Car Company was founded in 1897 by brothers Louis and John Clark. The company’s first car was a gas powered tricycle. In 1899 the company moved to Ardmore, Pa. and was renamed the Autocar Company. In 1901 Autocar was the fifth largest producer of automobiles in the U.S.
In 1902 they produced the first “shaft-driven” car, a 6 bhp, 2 cylinder vehicle which traveled from Philadelphia to New York City in a record 6 hours and 10 minutes.
Louis Clark of Autocar designed the first porcelain insulated spark plug and patented a double-reduction gearing for rear axles in 1902.
The company began focusing on trucks in 1907, with the introduction of a two-ton truck with a shaft-driven axle. Autocar was the first truck manufacturer to build wheels with wooden spokes instead of wires ones. It introduced its first commercial trucks in 1908. It was one of the few truck manufacturers to make their own engines, transmissions, and rear axles.
In 1953, the White Motor Car Company purchased controlling interest in Autocar and moved the company to Exton, Pa. White primarily marketed the Autocar trucks to companies in the construction, mining, logging, quarrying and oil industries. In 1981 Volvo purchased White, renaming the company Volva White Truck Corp. and retained the Autocar name. Autocar celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1997.
1936 Autocar Dual Drive Diesel
Mode: Duel Drive Diesel
Style: Highway Tractor
Engine Cylinders: 6 Diesel